Monday, June 14, 2010

Estate Tales

Last week I attended an estate sale at what I'm guessing was a very interesting & cultured woman's home. She had all sorts of modern art & furnishings, unfinished sketches of her own, craft projects, and two entire bookcases full of old French novels.

I loved this huge canvas that was hanging in the living room, but it had already sold (not that I have any place to put it). It looks totally modern but was probably done 50 years ago.


I don't normally look through the clothing at estate sales, but I happened to notice the sleeve of this tunic sticking out of the closet so I decided to take a closer look. I'm glad I did, because it is beautiful, the quality is excellent, and it was my size. And did I mention it was $2?


Another interesting feature of this home were the huge fuscia custom rugs that covered the master bedroom & living room floors. The lighting was horrible in there so I wasn't able to photograph them, but I loved that someone had made such a bold choice for flooring. It's rare to go into an estate sale and actually like the overall decor. Usually it's just a lamp here or a dresser there, but this was a nice surprise!

2 comments:

  1. My favorite shopping destination - someone else's castoffs. Great, vibrant color in the art piece. A day late....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing finds! Such a lovely tunic! perfect for the summer!

    ReplyDelete